Fennel Pop


I saw the Cherry Pop in the PDT cocktail book and liked the idea of lemon and Luxardo.  I also have Wyoming bourbon aged in sherry casks that my bro-in-law turned me onto, then when I went down to the basement to dig up the Luxardo, I sniffed a mystery jar – fennel liqueur.  

The resulting cocktail is actually pretty delicious.  I garnished with a lemon wheel, but I think some Luxardo cherries wouldn't go amiss instead of or in addition to.  Better yet, a fresh slice of fennel would top this off nicely when fennel bulbs arrive at a farmers market near you (we're almost there, kids!).

Fennel Pop

2 oz. Wyoming Whiskey (double cask, aged in sherry barrels)
.5 oz. fennel liqueur from Andrew Schloss' Homemade Liqueurs and Infused Spirits
.5 oz. Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur 
1 oz. lemon juice
Cocktail Punk Smoked Orange Bitters (this is worth playing with)
Lemon wheel, luxardo cherries or a slice from a fresh fennel bulb to garnish

Combine whiskey, liqueurs and lemon juice in a shaker over ice. Shake until very cold and strain into a tumbler over ice. Add a shake or two of bitters and top with your garnish.

Comments