Vacay terminus :(

We have leftover watermelon on its last leg.  Like... more than we could possibly eat today, and it should really be eaten today.

My wife is thrifty, though, so despite the fact that she won't be home until tomorrow (she's taking my older stepdaughter to camp), I drove with my younger stepdaughter back to Chicago with more ripe watermelon than you can shake a stick at.

But not more watermelon than you can shake gin at, apparently.

I made the kid a watermelon snow cone with some lime juice, which went over really well, and my adult version almost made up for the fact that I have to go back to work on Monday.  Almost.

Watermelon Gin Snow Cone

Ice
4 oz. watermelon juice*
2 oz. cucumber-infused gin**
1 oz. Patrón Citronge
1/2 oz. lime juice
1 cucumber wheel (optional)
1 dill sprig (also optional)

Crush ice in a blender on the ice-crushing setting.  Since my blender is awesome, it came out like snow, which was especially excellent for the virgin version (kids like snow).

Fill a highball glass to the rim with your snow (I yet again used my classy Labatt Blue pint glass, since it was readily available, but a highball is more "correct").  Pour gin, Citronge and lime juice over the top.  Garnish with cucumber and dill if available (I did not have any on hand).

* to get your watermelon juice, chop up some watermelon into cubes, put it in the blender, and pulse a few times to get it nice and juicy.  You can also just mush it up with your hands, which is very therapeutic.  To remove extra pulp and seeds, pour through a strainer and reserve the liquid (medium-mesh is best, but use whatever you have),
** see "Cool as a Cuke" in Homemade Liqueurs and Infused Spirits – a great book for folks like me with too much time and leftover farmers' market produce on their hands.  I infused some Hendricks, which already tastes kind of cucumber-y.

Comments